Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Peres Presidential Conference




Here is a photo of the one and only Shimon Peres at the opening evening of the Peres Presidential Conference I am attending in Jerusalem, having arrived this afternoon.

The Peres Presidential Award was presented to Henry Kissinger, who spoke movingly along with Tony Blair.

Kissinger, a Nobel Prize recipient, said this was the most special to him. I was particularly moved (and I haven't always been a fan of Kissinger's) by his opening words: "It may seem an unusual expression for an 89-year old man, but more than anything else I have accomplished in life, I wish my parents could be here to see this moment."

As I prepare for our Mission to Germany, those words have particular power: How could anyone have imagined in 1920 1930 1940that there would be a State of Israel such as the one we have? And how could anyone have imagined in 1940 1950 1960that Germany would become again a vibrant Jewish community, in a country deeply supportive of the State of Israel?

Peres, Kissinger, Blair all spoke powerfully about hope. And pursuing it.

Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment